“To inspire community involvement in the preservation and enhancement of Weston Lakes natural beauty and environment”
What is Keep Weston Lakes Beautiful?
Keep Weston Lakes Beautiful (KWLB) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and an affiliate of Keep Texas Beautiful (KTB). The remarkable aspect that truly defines KWLB, is that it is truly a network of people in our community. People who volunteer for KWLB sponsored events and people who, in their daily lives, help to keep Weston Lakes beautiful! KWLB is funded solely by volunteer contributions.
We focus our efforts on protecting our environment for now and the future. We make sure we are doing our best at litter prevention and recycling. We built neighborhood butterfly gardens and a bird sanctuary. We planted new trees. We emphasize the interdependence of plants, animals, and humans.
We educate our neighborhood children on the importance of conservation and natural resource management by exposing them to nature in interesting ways, from learning about the life cycle of butterflies to understanding the impact of trash and chemicals on our waterways. Children who learn about conservation and making better choices, become more responsible adults who think about both society and the environment.
Our Core Values
- We promote a clean and beautiful community for Weston Lakes residents by providing educational programs emphasizing litter control, recycling, and expansion of our native habitats. We encourage community participation at all levels and through all individuals residing in the community.
- We seek collaboration with organizations dedicated to environmental and educational programs to advance the skills and capacity of our volunteers, our Board Members, and our residents.
- We believe the diversity of our community is a fundamental strength. We promote an environment where all individuals, including our contacts and volunteers, feel a sense of belonging to help create and sustain our mission.
- Throughout our work, we support what makes our community unique, including race, ethnicity, culture, socio-economic background, sexual orientation, age, and physical ability. We commit to aligning our culture and operations to be a beacon of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
Keep Weston Lakes Beautiful was formed and became an affiliate member of Keep Texas Beautiful in January 2017 through the efforts of Nancy Case, Carol Fairbanks, and other innovative volunteers. KWLB achieved Silver Star Affiliate with KTB in 2018 and has achieved Gold Start Affiliate every year since. In 2019, KWLB won the coveted Governor’s Community Achievement Award. The award is is presented annually by Keep Texas Beautiful, in partnership with the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) to communities for their outstanding efforts to keep their communities beautiful. With this $110,000 award targeted for the beautification of Texas highways, KWLB worked with TxDOT to plant almost 200 trees and shrubs along FM 1093 in front of Weston Lakes.
Our Signature Projects
Butterfly and Pollinator Garden
KWLB volunteers created and maintain a Butterfly and Pollinator Garden in Pecan Park. One out of every three bites of food we eat is created as a result of pollinators! Constructing a pollinator garden in the park provides food and a place to live for these critical insects. The garden provides a beautiful location to relax and enjoy the flowers, butterflies, and bees. It also provides an educational opportunity to for our neighborhood children to learn about the essential role of pollinators in our world.
Neighborhood Bird Sanctuary
In 2023, KWLB raised over $30,000, thanks to generous donors, to build a haven for our birds in Weston Lakes that all of the neighborhood can enjoy. The focal point of the bird sanctuary is a beautiful disappearing waterfall for both the birds and the residents to enjoy. A dedicated group of volunteers keep the bird feeders filled and the park beautiful.
Our Annual Events
- Shred Event – environmentally friendly shredding and recycling of residents’ documents
- Great American Cleanup – neighborhood litter cleanup
- Doughnuts & Discovery events throughout the year – educational and fun activities for the kids in coordination with Stroll Weston Lakes
- Fall Sweep – Oxbow Trash Regatta and neighborhood litter clean up
- Volunteer Appreciation Event – celebrating KWLB volunteers
- Photos with Santa at the park – it’s just fun!!!!
2023 Board of Directors
- President – Janet Bartek
- Vice President – Lucy Moyer
- Treasurer – Allison Dewees
- Secretary – Susan Folk
- John Green
- Peter Williamson
- Susan Folk
- Erika Braun
- Grace Sullivan
- Joyce Tipton (Media Coordinator)
If you would like to volunteer, make a tax-deductible donation, or receive more information, please email us at info@KeepWLBeautiful.org